By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Have a look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of reports: The Shaping strength of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable choice of own narratives that explores the old, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. a few of the widespread authors during this assortment comprise David Bergman, Louis team, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian reviews, political routine, cultural stories, and narratology, and someone attracted to homosexual historical past should want to discover those fascinating narratives on themes akin to intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature prior to Stonewall, growing to be up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of expertise in a small town.A Sea of reports additionally comprises artistic fiction and nonfiction love tales, struggle tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 specialist males and the potential for a kiss. for an entire record of contents, please stopover at our website at www.haworthpressinc.com.This booklet will give you quite a few narratives that conceal a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual e-book membership in its wake
- homophobia within the office and using coming-out tales to augment office range
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled through Mormons
- gay literary background that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White when it comes to the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a few woman's love for one more lady, her lifelong buddy
- Provincetown's amazing group reaction to the AIDS epidemicA choice of chapters written by way of the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of news takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote deal with to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny university in 1997. This convention sparked the assumption for this choice of essays that learn the gay event via old, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will support readers to grasp themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian stories in several narrative varieties.
Read or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Best gay & lesbian books
Zack Knowles, a psychologist, and Daniel Wexler, an artwork instructor at a school in Virginia, were jointly for twenty-one years. within the fall of 2002, a number of months prior to the Iraq conflict, a brand new artist in place of dwelling, Abbas Rohani, arrives together with his Russian spouse, Elena, and their youngsters. yet Abbas isn't really fairly what he turns out, and he starts an affair with Daniel.
All people has their Boogeyman. yet who—or what—is scaring Saskatoon locals to dying? inner most detective Russell Quant is roused from sleep by way of a nighttime demand aid in simple terms to fall right into a nightmare whilst a lifeless woman’s family members hires him to discover her killer. yet what's actual and what's imaginary? Quant works to slim his checklist of suspects however the variety of sufferers retains transforming into.
Taking a look at gender via a number of lenses, this quantity seeks to appreciate what empowerment fairly capacity to girls this present day. It examines the placement of girls in, and their contribution to, politics, enterprise, schooling, social and fiscal improvement, the women’s circulation, future health, legislations, insurgency and the humanities.
This eye-opening learn provides a nuanced, provocative account of ways German squaddies within the nice battle skilled and enacted masculinity. Drawing on an array of suitable narratives and media, it explores the ways in which either heterosexual and gay infantrymen expressed emotion, understood romantic beliefs, and approached intimacy and sexuality.
- Doubting Sex: Inscriptions, Bodies and Selves in Nineteenth-Century Hermaphrodite Case Histories
- Original Cyn
- Homosexuality in Greece and Rome: A Sourcebook of Basic Documents
- Althaus-Reid - The Queer God
- A Queer Capital: A History of Gay Life in Washington D.C.
- Are Girls Necessary?: Lesbian Writing and Modern Histories
Extra resources for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Magnus Hirschfeld is a prime example of a controversial figure who caused several splits in the sexual reform movement until Kurt Hiller took over the leadership of the Institute for Sexual Research. Adding to the problems of diversity was the The Historical Evolution of Our Stories 37 inaccuracy of pink triangle labeling in the camps. In a way, homosexuality charges were used as a catchall against any member of the opposition who didn't fit into the defined categories for persecution. Within the camps, homophobia also played a large role, mirroring the role it played in general society.
Operating under the aegis of "medical science" and intending to provide both scientific description and causal explanation, it wove a monstrous story of who we were and how we got that way. Sometimes we were culpable, at other times victims of forces beyond our control. One of the earliest stories depicted us simply as "degenerates," throwbacks to primitive forms, lower on the evolutionary tree than normal people, or "tainted," in Krafft-Ebing's vocabulary, products of bad ancestral blood. We were freaks, but through no fault of our own.
23) The 1999 Berlin Film Festival featured Amiee und Jaguar, a movie based on the real-life story of two womens' love: Lilly, the wife of a Nazi officer and Felice, a Jew. Lilly, now eighty-five years old, continues to live in Berlin and plans to donate their photos and letters to the Jewish Museum in Berlin after her death. After the collapse of the Third Reich, most victims of National Socialism were freed from the systematic terror and brutal internment they had experienced, except those who had been labeled as homosexuals.
A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures by John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones