By Carter Lindberg
Charting the increase and improvement of Christianity, Carter Lindberg has succeeded in writing a concise and compelling heritage of the world’s biggest faith. He spans over 2,000 years of colourful incident to offer an authoritative historical past of Christianity for either the overall reader and the start pupil.
- Ranges from the missionary trips of the apostles to the tele-evangelism of the twenty-first century.
- Demonstrates how the Christian neighborhood bought and solid its identification from its improvement of the Bible to the current day.
- Covers themes primary to realizing the process Western Christianity, together with the expansion of the papacy, heresy and schism, reformation and counter-reformation.
- Includes an creation to the historiography of Christianity, a notice at the difficulties of periodization, an appendix on theological phrases, and an invaluable bibliography.
- An authoritative but succinct background, written to attract a basic viewers in addition to scholars of the heritage of Christianity.
- Written through across the world appeared theologian, Carter Lindberg, who's the writer of various titles on theology and Church history.
Read or Download A brief history of Christianity PDF
Similar religious history books
Considering the fact that 1965 the Korean American inhabitants has grown to over a million humans. those Korean american citizens, together with immigrants and their offspring, have based millions of Christian congregations and ratings of Buddhist temples within the usa. actually, their spiritual presence might be the main distinct contribution of Korean american citizens to multicultural variety within the usa.
This quantity will throw new gentle at the mind of the earliest English - the best way they suggestion, the best way they considered the realm, and how they seen worlds except this. earlier figuring out of the subject, good rooted within the principles of its time, appeared the English as adherents of 2 consecutive religions: Paganism ruled the settlers of the 4th-6th century, yet used to be outmoded within the 7th-10th century via Christianity.
"St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) is a vastly influential determine within the historical past of western inspiration and of the Catholic Church. during this significant addition to the Cambridge Texts sequence R. W. Dyson (whose glossy rendition of Augustine's urban of God has already been greatly acclaimed) has selected texts via Aquinas that exhibit his improvement of a Christian model of the philosophy of Aristotle, its distinction with the Augustinian notion that had colored lots political pondering within the earlier 8 centuries, and St.
The essays inside of past Catholicism hint the interconnections of trust, heresy, and mysticism in Italian tradition from the center a long time to this day. specifically, they discover how non secular discourse has spread out inside of Italian tradition within the context of transferring paradigms of rationality, authority, time, reliable and evil, and human collectivities.
- Rome and Jerusalem: The Clash of Ancient Civilizations
- The Cambridge History of Christianity: Early Medieval Christianities, c.600 – c.1100
- Queering Richard Rolle: Mystical Theology and the Hermit in Fourteenth-Century England
- Pagan and Christian in an Age of Anxiety. Some Aspects of Religious Experience from Marcus Aurelius to Constantine
- Holiness and Masculinity in the Middle Ages
- Vorkonstantinisches Christentum: Neues Testament [Sachthemen, Forts.]
Additional resources for A brief history of Christianity
The council affirmed that the Son is of the same substance (homoousios) of the Father. Institutionally, Constantine’s calling of the council presaged centuries of struggles between church and empire that would continue up to the last crowning of an emperor, that of Napoleon. From Constantine’s perspective he had the right to call a council because in the context of Greco-Roman culture the emperor represented God on earth, and was thus legally entitled to intervene in religious affairs. The council itself was procedurally modeled on the Roman Senate.
He rejected Manichaeism with its denigration of the material world, and he affirmed the goodness of creation because it is God’s creation. Hence love of the creation is not in itself sin if this love is rightly understood. He clarified this by making a distinction between enjoyment ( frui) and use (uti). Frui is the love that “enjoys” its object, whereas uti is the love that “uses” its object. The analogy Augustine used to illustrate this distinction is that of a voyage to The Heavenly City 43 BHOC04 43 6/6/05, 10:32 AM our homeland.
The Donatist party was concerned that the church would forsake its prophetic critique of culture and succumb to moral complacency, whereas the “Catholic” concern was that Donatism would lead to moralism and sectarianism. The Pelagian Controversy Augustine had been involved with the Donatist controversy for nearly fifteen years (396–411), but that did not deter him from continuing theological reflection on the problems of evil and salvation. His own conversion experience naturally led him in the direction of emphasizing the absolute priority of divine providence for salvation.
A brief history of Christianity by Carter Lindberg